Surfing is a sport that involves guts, confidence, and a good surf style. Surfing and surfing with style are two different things. To make an impression and look and feel good in the waves, you need to improve your surf style. These tips will help you get more out of your surfing.
1. Observe what other surfers do. Learn from your fellow surfers – the advanced ones and the less advanced ones. When you can identify what other surfers are doing well and poorly and compare it to what you are doing, you can learn a lot.
2. Ask someone to film your surfing. If you don’t see what you are doing, it is very difficult to improve. You need to have a look at what you’re doing, your technique, how you approach the waves, etc. and improve on those things.
3. Eat healthily and stay fit. If you are serious about your surfing, you need to stay healthy and fit. This is true for any sport, so start eating healthy and make sure you get enough exercise. This will definitely help you out there in the waves.
4. Do some research. Get a few books and videos of surfing. Study the videos and learn as much as you can. Read up on surf technique, different boards, style, etc. The more you know, the better you will train.
5. Continue surfing in winter. Surf throughout all the seasons. This will enable you to be ready when the great waves hit. Practice makes perfect and if you train in all types of weather, you will have no problem with any waves.
6. Train with a skateboard. Use the wheels and asphalt as an alternative training option. Practice your moves and tricks out of the water as well as in the water. This gives you an edge and more opportunity to practice.
These tips will help you get your surfing to the next level. It is also good to ask an experienced surfer to offer constructive criticism on your technique and style. This will help you improve.